28 July 2017
Sausage roll recipe
John Sprakes, 90, a resident at Kew House Care Home in Wimbledon has become famous within the home for his sausage rolls. He said; “The secret to this recipe is in the sausages. For my whole life I have used Newmarket sausages. They originate from Suffolk and are also Her Majesties preferred choice of sausage.”
Serves: 10/12 sausage rolls
Preparation time: 1 ½ hours
Cooking time: 35 minutes
600g plain flour
125ml cold water
125ml whole milk
Pinch of salt
500g unsalted butter from the fridge
1) Use your fingers to rub 250g of the butter into the flour. You want it to have a crumby feel.
2) Slowly add the water and then the milk, gently kneading the pastry into a ball. Wrap this up and pop it in the fridge for at least half an hour.
3) Remove the pastry from the fridge and lightly sprinkle flour onto your work surface. Roll the pastry out to a 1cm depth, trying to maintain a rectangular shape.
4) With the remaining 250g of butter, place it on a piece of greaseproof paper on a cold surface. Put another piece of paper on top of the butter and gently roll it out to the same shape as pastry. Place the rolled butter onto the pastry and roll it in. Your pastry is now ready.
8 Newmarket sausages, skinned
1) Roll out the pastry into a rectangle around half a centimetre thick. Using your fingers, place the sausage meat evenly along one long side of the pastry, leaving 4cm space from the edge.
2) Brush the 4cm edge with a generous layer of egg wash and then fold the other side of the pastry over the top of the sausage meat to form the roll. Crimp the edges together well to seal. I use a regular kitchen fork for this.
3) Brush the top of the roll with egg wash and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
4) Heat the oven to 180°C
5) Using a sharp knife, cut the sausage roll into your preferred length. Place them on a heated baking tray lined with baking paper.
6) Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes. When they’re golden brown remove them from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.