14 March 2018
Stuffed chicken ballotine recipe
This delicious chicken ballotine recipe by Head Chef, Josh Pegado at Lakeview Care Home in Lightwater is great for dinner parties and special occasions.
Sound like something you would like to try yourself? Read on to find out more.
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs (skin on, bone out)
- 4 good-sized meaty sausages
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds, bashed
- 1 sprig or teaspoon of rosemary
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 handful of mushrooms
- 100ml single cream
- Butterfly your chicken thighs and tenderise/flatten then season both sides with salt and pepper
- De-skin the sausages and dispose of skin
- Cut up streaky bacon into small pieces and mix with sausage meat
- Cut up rosemary finely
- Mix in the rosemary and fennel seeds with the sausage meat/streaky bacon pieces
- Roll the sausage meat filling into a sausage shape and place into the centre of the chicken thighs
- Roll the chicken thighs (like a roly poly, with the filling inside so it is a cylinder shape)
- Wrap tightly in cling film
- Boil a pan of water
- Put the chicken ballotine in the pan for 20 minutes
- Then remove, rest for 5 minutes
- In a frying pan on a high heat, add butter and pan fry until golden brown
- Remove from pan
- In the same frying pan, sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until softened. Add the rested juices from the cling film (from the chicken), then add desired amount of cream (I recommend 100ml), depending on how saucy you would like it.
- Slice chicken and serve with steamed seasonal vegetables and the creamy sauce.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.