22 May 2018
Cheese straw recipe
Pat Gare, 90, a resident at Admiral Court Care Home in Leigh-on-Sea, is famous for her cheese straws. Here she shares her popular recipe.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 4oz self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- Pinch mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2oz margarine
- 3oz mature Cheddar or Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 180oc/350oF/gas mark 4 and grease a baking tray.
- Mix together the flour, salt, cayenne pepper and mustard powder. Rub in the margarine.
- Stir in the cheese and add the egg to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out very thinly and cut into strips and place on the greased baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.