8 November 2018
Quick and easy spice cake recipe
Shirley Hampson, 81, a resident at Anya Court Care Home in Rugby, is famous for her quick and easy spice cake. Here she shares her popular recipe.
Prep: 15-20 mins
Cooking time: 75 mins
- 200g self-raising flour
- 5 tsp mixed spice
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp marmalade
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 45ml water
- 75g margarine
- 75g sultanas
- 1 egg
- Mix the flour and spice.
- Gently heat the margarine, sugar, syrup, marmalade and water until the margarine has melted.
- Add these to the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the sultanas and beaten egg.
- Place in a greased 18-20.5cm cake tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven at 180oC for about 75 mins until firm.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.