7 May 2019
Resident’s recipe – Welsh cakes
Idris Browning, a resident at Greenhill Manor Care Home, in Merthyr Tydfil, used to run his own catering company called Browning Catering in the Rhonda Valleys. Idris’ daughter and son-in-law now run the business. Here he shares one of his favourite recipes.
2-3 MINUTES EACH SIDE
350g self-raising flour
- 175g butter
- 115g sugar
- 1 egg
- A little milk for binding
- A healthy handful of currant
- Work the butter into the flour and sugar until it’s the consistency of breadcrumbs
- Add in the currants and add in the egg and a little milk until you get a firm dough; add milk a little at a time until you get the right texture.
- Roll out the dough to about 1cm thick and cut with a cutter of your choice.
- Cook on a hot stone or in a pan until lightly browned. 5. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.