26 August 2016
Chocolate and banana cake recipe
Executive Chef and Head of Chef Academy, Brian Lane has shared his chocolate and banana cake recipe with us.
This is a showstopper of a dessert. Rich and indulgent but not too heavy – and is heavenly with pouring cream. Sound like something you would like to try yourself? Read on to find out more.
(Serves 16 people) prep 30 min cook 40min
Ingredients 1 x 230mm x 40mm tin
250g plain flour (sifted)
400g caster sugar
75g cocoa powder (sifted)
8g baking powder (sifted)
8g bicarbonate of soda (sifted)
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
125ml vegetable oil or light olive oil (fruity)
8ml vanilla extract
160g ripe bananas (peeled and mashed to a pulp)
• Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
• Grease and line the tin.
• Using a large bowl thoroughly mix together all the dry ingredients.
• Then in a separate bowl thoroughly mix together all the wet ingredients, except for the banana pulp.
• Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, followed by the banana pulp.
• Place into the oven, middle shelf and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
• Once cooked remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
• Remove from the tin and cover with cling film until needed.
200g dark chocolate (grated) or callets
100ml double cream
40g unsalted butter
• In a heavy based pan bring the cream to a simmer.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the grated chocolate or callets.
• Once the chocolate has melted stir in the butter to finish.
• Coat the warm sponge with the ganaché and smooth with a palette knife.
• Drizzle white chocolate along the top of the cake to give it a marbled effect.
• Add Lindor chocolates or truffles to the top of the cake for decoration.
Click here to find your nearest care home.