7 March 2018
Focus on… hospitality at Admiral Court Care Home
We caught up with Nicola Sutcliffe, Admiral Court’s Business Support Manager, to find out how she delivers a first class hospitality service to every resident.
- What does hospitality mean to you?
Hospitality to me is exactly what the name suggests – being hospitable to someone. It is the desire to want to help people, care for them and make them a cup of tea or whatever it is they would like to have or need to make them feel content.
- How do you support the team to get to know the residents?
When a new resident is due to move in I find out all I can about that person and produce an information sheet which I share with all relevant departments. This includes dietary information, the residents’ likes and dislikes and details about their hobbies and interests. All of this information is vital for the team to get to know that individual and allows the home to formulate a relationship-centred approach to their care.
- Why do you think hospitality is important for residents?
Hospitality is important to everyone and good hospitality ensures that our residents feel at home as soon as they arrive here. We all remember times in our own lives when someone’s hospitality has impacted us and made our day.
- Do residents have input in the menu choices?
Yes, our residents have a weekly food forum which is led by the Lifestyles Team and attended by the Chef or myself. At this meeting, the residents are encouraged to talk about meals they enjoy. We also suggest dishes and ask for their feedback.
- How do you tailor your offering for residents?
We tailor the menu to each individual’s dietary requirements and preferences. We currently cater to residents who are on pureed, gluten free, diabetic and vegetarian diets and we work hard to ensure each dish both looks appealing and tastes delicious.
- What are your top tips for creating a great hospitality experience?
- Listen to the residents and their relatives’ views and encourage feedback.
- Choose high-quality fresh ingredients
- Ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained
- Ensure all team members are trained to a high standard.
- Ensure that there are adequate stock levels of equipment to meet the needs of residents.
- What impact do you have on the daily lives of residents?
I seek every opportunity to ensure our residents are happy and I make it my mission to ask what I can do for them. I check the home every day when I arrive for work to ensure it is looking immaculate, any maintenance issues are reported, the team have all they need to do their jobs, health and safety requirements are being met, the food is of a high standard and that any feedback in the dining room books is responded to.
- What do you love about your job?
I love the variety it brings! I love getting to know the residents and working with the team to improve the level of service we are offering. I want Admiral Court to be outstanding and I will do everything I can to encourage and help the team to achieve this. I have the desire to be the best that I can be and I give the job 100%.
Thought about a short stay? If you would like to find out more about the respite care options available at Admiral Court Care Home or pop in for a visit, click the link and call us today!
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.