4 May 2022
Cottage Pie – Ernesto’s Recipe
Find out how to make it yourself here.
For the filling
- Olive oil
- 1.5kg beef mince
- Two large onions
- Four carrots
- Four sticks of celery
- Two cloves of garlic
- Two tbsp of plain flour
- One tbsp of tomato puree
- 800ml beef stock
- Four tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Three bay leaves
- One glass red wine
For the mash:
- 2kg potato
- 50g butter
- 150ml double cream
- 20 grams of salt
- 200g mature cheddar cheese
- Grated nutmeg
- Put the olive oil into the pan, add the finely chopped onions, chopped carrots and chopped celery sticks and cook on a gentle heat until soft, about 20 mins.
- Add the beef mince and cook until nice and brown.
- Add finely chopped garlic cloves, plain flour and tomato purée, increase the heat and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour over a large glass of red wine, and boil to reduce it slightly before adding the 850ml beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 45 mins. By this time the gravy should be thick and coating the meat.
- Check after about 30 mins – If a lot of liquid remains, increase the heat slightly to reduce the gravy a little.
- Season well, then discard the bay leaves.
Meanwhile make the mash.
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes which you’ve peeled and chopped, in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain well, then allow to steam dry for a few mins.
- Mash well with the cream, butter, and three-quarters of the mature cheddar cheese.
- Season with freshly grated nutmeg and some salt and pepper
Once both the meat and mash is prepared
- Spoon the meat into 2 ovenproof dishes.
- Pipe or spoon on the mash to cover.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas and cook for 25-30 mins, or until the topping is golden.
Find out more about Ernesto by watching our video here.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.