4 May 2022
Vegetable Roulade – Ernesto’s Recipe
For the roulade:
- 60g butter
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 250 ml milk
- Four egg yokes
- Four egg white
- 40g parmesan
- A pinch of parsley
For the fillings:
- One large onion
- Three mixed peppers
- Two courgettes
- 100g ricotta cheese
- 100g goat’s cheese
- Salt and pepper
For the filling
- Dice the courgette, peppers and onion.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables and stir for five minutes or until soft and liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer the mix vegetables to a bowl to cool.
For the roulade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a 25 x 30cm (base measurement) swiss roll pan with oil and line with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles.
- Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until smooth and combined.
- Place over medium heat. Stir for five minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks, one at a time, until well combined.
- Use electric beaters to whisk the egg whites in a dry, clean bowl until firm peaks form.
- Add one-quarter of the egg white to the milk mixture and use a large metal spoon to fold until just combined.
- Add the remaining egg white and fold until just combined.
- Fold in the parmesan, parsley and chives until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Meanwhile, stir the goat cheese, peppers, zucchini and ricotta cheese mixture. Season with pepper.
Place a clean tea towel on a work surface. Turn the roulade onto the tea towel and remove baking paper. Set aside for one to two minutes to cool slightly. Spread the filling evenly over the roulade. Starting with the long side closest to you, gently roll up roulade. Set aside for five minutes to rest.
Watch a video to find out more about Ernesto below.
Click here to find your nearest Hallmark care home.