Moving into a care home can be both an exciting and an emotional time for residents and their families. It’s a time to embrace new beginnings, meet new people and experience new activities and it’s also a time to leave a place that, for some of our residents, has been called home for many years.
We have tried to make the transition of moving into a care home easier with this packing list. Often what makes our houses feel like home are the creature comforts that have been collected over the years that bring back all the wonderful memories that have been created over a lifetime.
When moving into a Hallmark Care Home, we encourage you to bring your favourite chair, ornaments, photos, and other special items with you. Items that will help your new home feel familiar and yours. You can even bring your TV, although all large electrical items brought into the home will need to be health and safety assessed first.
We also allow some pets, but check with the home before bringing them.
Spend some time thinking about what personal items you would like to take with you. Below is a list of essentials that we recommend:
Daytime clothing – including that favourite cosy jumper or cardigan. We recommend enough changes of clothes for two weeks.
Gardening/arts and crafts clothing – items you don’t mind getting messy!
- Loose clothing – some of our homes run tai chi and other exercise classes
- Two or three sets of night clothes
- A dressing gown
- Two pairs of shoes
- Socks or stockings
- A coat or jacket and hat/scarf
- Something nice – we often run events and parties in the home
Below are a list of home comforts that we recommend bringing. Please check with your home of choice before bringing furniture and large electrical items as we will need to do a health and safety assessment on these.
- Games or hobbies, e.g. knitting
- Writing materials
- Favourite cushion for your bed/chair
- Furniture e.g. your favourite armchair
We recommend packing toiletries that you are used to using. The familiar products and smells will help you to feel more at home. Of course the list of toiletries you bring should be tailored to what you are used to using, however the below list should help. The list includes items for both men and women.
- Body lotion
- Face products e.g. moisturiser
- Body wash/shower gel
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush or comb
- Make-up (if used)
- Hair styling equipment e.g. rollers/hair pins
- Shaving equipment
- Nail varnish – we have our own nail salons, but if you have a favourite, bring it with you.
- Mobile phone or tablet and charger
- Medicines – 2 week supply
- Mobility aids
- Pets – check with the home before bringing
- Pet supplies (if allowed)